Your Utah Roofing Pre-Winter Check
We all know how brutal the winters can be in Utah. Snow, ice, rain, and constant freezing and thawing can take a toll on everything from roadways to your home’s roof. We understand you probably don’t give your home’s roof much thought, especially if it seems to be doing its job effectively. The reality is, however, your roof protects much of what is valuable in your life. An undetected or unrepaired roof issue can lead to some very expensive repairs as the weather deteriorates. Trying to properly address those issues in the winter can be a challenge. That is why it is so important to have your roof inspected prior to the arrival of cold weather. Let’s take a closer look.
- If you have leaks now, when the weather turns cold those water leaks will freeze and expand. This will cause increasing larger leaks, and bigger problems. An inspection from a Utah roofer can help detect these seemingly “small” leaks and get them repaired before the freezing and thawing of winter.
- Now is a critical time to clean your gutters and downspouts. You want to keep water from your roof moving freely away from your home. Gutters clogged with leaves and sticks can prevent that. As cold weather approaches, clogged gutters can lead to ice dams which can create a whole host of problems. Taking the time to clean your gutters and downspouts thoroughly is an effective way to help prolong your roof and drainage system.
- A Utah roofing contractor can uncover holes, leaks, cracks, and rotting. They can replace broken and missing shingles and detect and replace broken flashing. Many of these are relatively simple repairs if detected early. If you are not sure you can detect these problems yourself, hire an expert to help.
- Check your drain pipes to insure that water is draining at least 4 feet away from your home’s foundation. This will help prevent the freezing water from affecting your home’s foundation during the winter.
- If you have a good rain suit and umbrella, take a walk around your home during a heavy rain and look at how water drains from your roof. You should be able to spot any obvious drainage problems.
- Any water spots on your interior ceilings are a sure sign of problems and should prompt a call to a Utah roofing contractor.
- Now is also a good time of the year to make sure your fireplace and chimney are cleaned. The cost of a professional chimney sweep can be a very good investment, preventing a potentially dangerous fire.
Regular inspections from a Utah roofing contractor are a key element in maintaining a long-lasting roof.
All Seasons Roofing has been proud to offer residential, commercial, and industrial roofing services for the Salt Lake City area for 20 years. We offer roofing repairs and replacements for a variety of roofs including wood and asphalt shingles. We also specialize in all types of flat roofing. All Seasons Roofing has the experience to assist with roofing problems ranging from a small hole in your roof to a whole new roof. We are happy to provide free written estimates on both residential and commercial projects and offer attractive financing options. Before our Utah winter once again hits, make sure your roof is in shape to withstand it. Contact us at All Seasons Roofing for a complete roof inspection and to make any needed repairs. You can then spend the winter cozy in your home, knowing your roof is ready for what Mother Nature has to offer.
Latest posts by Jake Hardy (see all)
- Roof Snow Removal 101 – Preventing Collapse - December 16, 2014
- Common Winter Roofing Problems You May Experience in Utah - November 24, 2014
- Seven Things You Must Know Before Choosing a Roofing Company in Utah - October 19, 2014